An Intern's Guide to Curation
It can be intimidating to start curate your first exhibition, but it is also an excting and rewarding experience. Here are a few tips to consider:
- Keep in mind the location of your exhibition.
- Brainstorm a theme for your show.
- Contact Artists to participate.
- Create and submit an application.
- Draft a budget (artist fees, materials, invitations, post cards, catering, framing, etc.).
- Design or work with a designer on promotional material.
- Write your curatorial statement
- Write and send out your press release.
- Send out invitations.
- Update your social networking sites.
- Create a gallery layout.
- Install exhibition.
- Host Opening Reception.
Remember that these are suggestions and items are interchangable on the list. Good luck!